Does My Issue Warrant a Call to an Emergency AC Repair in Big Bear, CA?
Big Bear, CA may have chilly winters but we all know that once the summer hits, the heat is unapologetic and unwavering in making us want to rush home for that cooling reprieve provided by the AC. For this reason, breakdowns of the air conditioning unit are generally met with frustration. While some repairs are normal to occur, others warrant an emergency phone call to an air conditioning technician.
As the top emergency AC repair techs in Big Bear, CA, we dedicated this blog to exploring situations in which urgent repair is needed, and why prompt AC repairs are vital for your unit. Read on to see if the situation you’re dealing with at home warrants a call to the pros.
What are the Common Signs of an AC Emergency in Big Bear?
While some breakdowns are minor and may show up as a mere inconvenience for everyone in the home, others are more critical. One of the keys of preventing an interruption in the AC’s important work is by keeping an eye out for signs of a needed emergency repair so that you can call a professional for help sooner than later. Below we provide a list of common signs that may indicate a problem with your AC unit that will require immediate service:
No Cool Air
The #1 reason we get requests for repairs at Bear Valley Plumbing and Heating is when there is little to no air coming out of the vents. Poor cooling or lack thereof is typically caused by one of the following issues:
- Low refrigerant levels
- Faulty compressor
- Dirty or blocked air filters
- Blocked condenser unit
- Faulty thermostat
- Malfunctioning components like the fan motor, blow motor, or capacitors
All of these issues will lead to a lot of discomforts and a poorly performing AC. If you begin to feel little to no air coming from your AC, we highly recommend calling an emergency AC repair tech who will quickly restore the issue. The faster it is repaired, the quicker you will get to enjoy your home.
Frequent Tripping of Circuit Breaker
If you notice that the breaker is frequently tripping when the air conditioning unit is operating, you may have a highly critical problem with the electrical components of the AC. This problem can not only lead to a total breakdown of the air conditioning unit, but it can also lead to dangerous fire hazards. Here’s why the circuit breaker may tripping:
- When the AC is drawing more electricity than required for operation
- Short-circuiting caused by damaged or loose connections
- Ground fault are commonly caused by faulty electrical connections or damaged wiring
- Overloaded circuit breaker when multiple appliances are working simultaneously
- Aging or faulty circuit breaker
For the sake of your safety and the comfort of your home, we recommend calling an emergency repair tech as soon as you can when this issue occurs.
Strange or Unusual Noises
Weird or loud sounds caused by your AC can also be a great cause for concern. Here are some sounds to be mindful of:
- Grinding or squealing: caused by an issue with the fan or blow motor
- Rattling or vibrating: loose or damaged components in the AC
- Banging or clanking: detached part in the unit
- Hissing or bubbling: indicates a refrigerant fluid leak
- Clicking or ticking: problem with the startup and shutdown cycles
- Whistling or whirring: problems with airflow or ductwork
These sounds must all be investigated promptly to ensure that they are addressed before they create greater, more expensive problems.
Odd or Foul Odors
One unmistakable way to tell if you need emergency AC repair in Big Bear, CA is when you pick up foul odors coming from the AC unit. Here are some examples of such smells along with their cause:
- Must or moldy odor: caused by mold or mildew growth within the AC system
- Burning or electrical odor: caused by overheating or electrical components or malfunctioning wiring.
- Chemical odor: normally an indication of a refrigerant fluid leak.
- Decaying or animal-related odor: caused by a dead animal stuck in the outdoor unit. It may also be caused by decaying plants trapped in the components of the AC as well.
We recommend an urgent phone call to an emergency AC repair service for all of these smells. However, drop everything you’re doing and call immediately when there is a burning smell, which normally indicates a fire within the AC unit. Turn off the unit completely and make that required phone call as it can lead to a fire inside your home.
Frequent Short Cycling
Short cycling is when an AC unit turns off within a few minutes of operation. This problem isn’t only annoying but is also a sign of a greater issue within your air conditioning unit. It is caused by any of the following factors:
- Malfunctioning thermostat
- Clogged air filters
- Low refrigerant fluid levels
- Oversized AC unit
- Poor quality installation of the unit
- Malfunctioning electrical components
To maintain your home in optimal comfort, call an air conditioning repair tech immediately when experiencing this issue. A prompt repair will prevent further discomfort at home, excessive wear of the unit, and expensive energy bills.
Water Leaks Around a Unit
Another unfortunate situation that must be dealt with immediately is when you see water leaks forming around your unit. These water leaks are caused either by a clogged condensate drain line, a malfunctioning condensate pump, or a refrigerant fluid leak.
Each of these issues will slow down the function of your air conditioning unit and will hurt its ability to cool the home properly. Thus, making that phone call to an emergency AC repair tech is of the utmost importance. A neglected water leak will eventually cost you hundreds of not thousands of dollars to repair. Plus, your home will not be as comfortable because the air conditioning unit will not be able to produce those same cooling temperatures you desire.
Emergency AC Repairs FAQ
We are frequently asked the following common questions about emergency AC repairs. Learn the answers to these questions from our team of expert technicians at Bear Valley Plumbing & Heating.
How long does an emergency AC repair typically take?
The duration of your repair will vary depending on a handful of factors. Below are the factors that will determine the time it will take to repair your AC:
- Diagnosis and assessment: Sometimes the diagnosis and evaluation of the problem takes longer than necessary. We will inspect all of the AC’s components and conduct the necessary tests to understand the problem at hand.
- Repair complexity: The actual repair may be a simple one after the initial diagnosis. However, there are repairs that take longer, particularly if it involves the compressor or sealing of gaps in the ductwork.
- Availability of parts: There are times when a faulty component must be replaced, but finding it to make the replacement possible is hard. This will obviously lead to a longer repair duration and may even increase the cost of the repair as well.
- Technician workload: Another driving factor to repair duration is the tech’s workload. Summer is the busiest time of the year because the AC breaks down more often. However, when you call Big Bear Plumbing & Heating, you will always receive a prompt response to your issue.
Are there any preventive measures I can take to avoid emergency AC repairs in Big Bear, CA?
There are certainly a handful of preventative measures you can take to avoid having to call an emergency AC repair tech. Below, are our suggestions that you can take action on today:
- Schedule regular maintenance: Maintenance visits allow the AC tech the opportunity to find repair issues early before they grow into a big problem that shuts down the entire unit.
- Replace your air filters regularly: dirty or clogged air filters are a common culprit of many repairs. Just changing them regularly will prevent a handful of repairs down the road.
- Clean the area around your outdoor unit: Keeping outdoor equipment, trash, leaves, debris, and other items away from your outdoor unit will ensure that your unit is producing clean and efficient cooling temperatures.
- Monitor thermostat settings: Make sure your thermostat is set at the correct setting that doesn’t strain the AC excessively. Incorrect settings put the AC unit into overdrive and make it break down faster than normal, necessitating an emergency repair.
- Beware of your AC’s condition: Pay attention to all the odd sounds or poor air quality produced by your AC. Call a tech when you notice something unusual to have it checked out. This will help you avoid a lot of unneeded stress and discomfort at home.
Will the emergency AC repair technicians clean up after completing the job in Big Bear, CA?
Cleaning up after themselves is part of the technician’s responsibility and work duties. Our AC repair techs will go the extra mile to respect you and your property, leaving in a better condition than when they first arrived. They will ensure to store all of their tools and equipment appropriately and to clean up any messes created by an AC that was in disrepair. We will do our due diligence to clean up any condensate drain or refrigerant fluid leaks and throw away all trash created by us. You can trust that our team will take good care of your home!
Contact Bear Plumbing & Heating for Emergency AC Repairs in Big Bear
Are you facing a problem with your AC that is just putting a damper on your summer plans in Big Bear, CA? Call us today for a prompt and professional repair that will quickly restore the comfort of your home.
Related Content: 6 Reasons Why Heater Maintenance Is Critical